Masters of Public Health Student Internship
We are looking for an MPH student who is interested in working with local community-based organizations who serve people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Afya has partnered with local schools and organizations that serve adolescents and adults with special needs. They provide programs for their participants and students that help them get involved in their community and learn new skills. Many of the groups choose to come to our warehouse in Yonkers to volunteer and help with sorting and packing. Some have intellectual disabilities, others have autism, and many aim to acquire pre-vocational skills.
Seeking a student intern who is dedicated to improving the lives of vulnerable and marginalized populations and at the same time learning about global health through humanitarianism.
Student interns will work closely with Volunteer Manager to coordinate, track and monitor volunteer group sorts in the warehouse. S/he will be interfacing with Program Directors of CBOs and schools.
Intern must be a self-starter with some experience working in health-related nonprofit or community-based organization.
- Student intern will have an opportunity to work with Occupational Therapy interns and community leaders involved in the work of the Afya Foundation.
- Student intern will have an opportunity to experience first-hand various aspects of an international humanitarian organization dedicated to addressing health disparities and serving medically underserved communities in the world.
Personal Success Factors:
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team;
- Ability to shift focus on work tasks on short notice;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills;
- Ability to be flexible, persistent and diplomatic
- Strong organizational skills, comfortable multi-tasking and utilizing their skills within a unique work environment