Occupational Therapy Students Internships
Unique opportunity for Occupational Therapy students to practice in a non-traditional community-based setting. Afya provides structured opportunities for local volunteers to engage in altruistic activities. Through strong partnerships with over a dozen community-based organizations and schools that serve adults and adolescents with mental and developmental disabilities, Afya is an active volunteer site for many of the participants and students. OT student interns will have an opportunity to work 1:1 with volunteers with emotional and intellectual disabilities.
Afya is a unique medical supply recovery organization (MSRO) that collects surplus medical supplies throughout the United States and ships these critical materials to public health missions worldwide. Our regional network of medical suppliers and volunteers enables Afya to meet immediate humanitarian needs in countries devastated by natural disasters, international conflicts and supports our long-term programs to address chronic health disparities in all nations. Our model recognizes that each hospital, government and clinic abroad face disparate public health conditions and our extensive inventory allows us to individually tailor our shipments to each partner. By reducing the amount of unused medical supplies generated in the US, Afya promotes efficient and environmentally aware healthcare practices at home while sustaining life abroad.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Occupational Therapy student interns will be involved in the following:
- Provide vocational-based interventions for volunteers with emotional and intellectual disabilities.
- Track weekly progress of volunteers’ ability to perform sorting and organizing tasks.
- Work 1:1 with individuals from treatment programs who expressed personal goals and have the potential, with support, to achieve them.
- Implement social and therapeutic engagement events for a variety of populations, including well volunteer participants.
- Current Occupational Therapy student
- Excellent communications skills
- Interested in improving the lives of people with disabilities
Personal Success Factors:
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team;
- Ability to shift focus on work tasks on short notice;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills;
- Ability to be flexible, persistent and diplomatic;
- Strong organizational skills, comfortable multi-tasking and utilizing their skills within a unique work environment
Student interns will be supervised by an OTR at Afya Foundation.