AFYA’S core mission is to improve healthcare delivery in underserved communities around the world. AFYA accomplishes this goal by coordinating with local medical professionals “on the ground” and facilitating customized shipments of supplies that improve local health systems.
AFYA invites healthcare practitioners and administrators from under-resourced facilities to identify the specific medical supplies and equipment they need. AFYA’s volunteers sort and pack the supplies requested at Afya’s warehouse in Yonkers, NY. The life-saving supplies are loaded into 40’ shipping containers and delivered to healthcare facilities abroad.
Each container is unique, every facility has different needs.
As partners abroad create their request lists, we encourage them to think holistically. Afya consistently responds to comprehensive requests for medical and humanitarian supplies. We recognize that a variety of products are needed to improve access and care.
Our regional network of medical suppliers and volunteers enables Afya to meet immediate humanitarian needs in countries devastated by natural disasters, international conflicts and supports our long-term programs to address chronic health disparities in all nations. Our model recognizes that each hospital, government, and clinic abroad faces disparate public health conditions and our extensive inventory allows us to individually tailor our shipments to each partner.
In 2013, Afya created a Biomedical Department to guide best practices for effectiveness and safety of biomedical equipment and instrumentation we include in shipments to partner organizations. This department has enabled us to improve the lifespan of donated equipment. All equipment shipped must pass AAMI, BSI, WHO and FDA standards before it leaves the Afya warehouse.
Since 2008, Afya has delivered 258 40’ containers.
Recipients submit a recovery fee to Afya and this covers the costs of rescuing, testing, sorting, warehousing, packing and delivering a 40’ custom packed container. The model is cost-effective and helps those in resource-poor areas access supplies and equipment that would otherwise be unaffordable.
Our staff works closely with partners abroad, every step of the way.
We are here solely to support an organization’s ability to deliver care there.
The Short List
- The recovery fee is determined and communicated quickly and is based on the location of the country for delivery and requested items.
- If less than a full container of supplies is requested, we have several options for smaller shipments.
- The organization we work with (ship to abroad) will secure shipping documentation and duty-free/ tax-free status for the shipment. Most often, this is provided by the Country’s Ministry of Finance.
- The organization will name a consignee to receive the container in the country.
- The organization will name a clearing agent (in the country) to work on the organization’s behalf to release/clear the shipment through customs.
- The organization will send Afya a request list of items needed.
- An appropriate representative of the organization will complete and sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Afya.
- The organization will be responsible for sending Afya photos of the items once they have reached their destination, as well as a short “story of impact”.